Thursday, September 19, 2013

ORANGES

Foreword: Thank you Mr. Frank O'Hara.

------------------------------------------------------

I

It is weird to write
poetry for school. Yet,
I find myself dying
to do so, trying my best
O’Hara imitation. Maybe
I should just be myself, but

can’t I only project my image
on the reflection of another
man? I suppose that was what
god did through Jesus, and
what we do through god. I find

the idea of a personal
god very appealing, oftentimes
dream about it. As I lay in
my bed and think why on
Earth would god create humanity,
a truth strikes me. It is uncanny
how the girl’s eyes become the same
color under the dim sunlight as the boy’s
sparse hair, both of which have
a little god in them. I suppose
colors don’t strike us as beautiful until
we see a sweet coincidence,
which obviously is more than
a simple occurrence: something
that is meant to happen, something
that ripened and aromatized through
a course – much like a fruit.

I find myself lying on my bed,
thinking about my god, and my
poetry assignment. I like the fact
that I wrote it, but I am not
a real poet. I can only hope
to be.

------------------------------------------------------

II

I will not write twelve poems
yet

but a second deserved to be written
either by me
or by the wind
on the faces of small children
and leaves of fall that are
turning a little more
luminous everyday

the poem belongs
to the sun and the air
at least as much as the wind
-if not more-
and they too
shall sing it in grace

even before it is finished

everyone will hear it – the girl and the boy
and the girl will wangle the boy
and the boy will woo the girl
and the clouds will witness them
on Travessera de Gràcia

and before the sky can even hug them
they will be together
they will embrace the sky
and fall – but not apart

like two leaves bonded in the rain

and as they waltz nearer to the ground
and as she sees that she’s the one that is wangled
she’ll smile

it’ll be glorious

and the sun will light up her face
with the same color
that fall leaves
have.

------------------------------------------------------


I cannot thank you enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment